Current Employment Position
- Senior Counsel
- Family Law Actions
- Dispute Resolution
- Domestic Violence
Having experienced the challenges of divorce herself, Marcy understands many of the issues her clients are facing. Her goal in practicing family law has always been to bring warmth and caring to this process so that clients feel they have someone to turn to when faced with confusing family law forms and the enormity of the emotions encountered on the path to separation. When children are involved, she is committed to helping the separating parents understand how separation may impact their children's lives and educating them on ways to make the transition healthier for their children. She also strongly believes that the process of mediation and collaborative practice can play a significant role in minimizing the damage from the divorce process and creating an effective communication model that parties can use to resolve future conflicts.
Though the majority of Marcy's practice is committed to out-of-court resolutions, Marcy understands that litigation is sometimes necessary. In such cases, she advocates with integrity and an eye toward minimizing the potential negative effects of the adversarial process on families. Rather than engage in power struggles with other attorneys, she remains focused on the issues to provide the most effective advocacy for her clients.
Marcy earned her bachelor's degree in Economics from UCLA and her JD from the King Hall School of Law at University of California, Davis. In addition to her formal education, she studied mediation for years with both the Bay Area Non-violent Communication Center in Oakland and the Center for Understanding in Conflict in Marin. She continues to study conflict resolution with Gary Friedman, Norman Fischer, and other conflict professionals at the Center for Understanding in Conflict in Marin. She been a guest lecturer at UC Davis Law School in family law mediation and has enjoyed teaching other lawyers communication techniques as a presenter for CEB (Continuing Education of the Bar).
Marcy is an empty nester who enjoys her time on the tennis court and the many beautiful hiking trails in Northern California.
- University of California, Davis School of Law, Davis, California
- J.D. - 1992
- University of California at Los Angeles
- B.A. - 1989
- Major: Economics
Classes & Seminars
- Guest Lecture, UC Davis Law School, Family Law Mediation
- Presenter, Continuing Education of the Bar
- Bay Area Non-Violent Communication Center
- Center for Understanding in Conflict
- Member Pro Bono Committee of Collaborative Practice East Bay
- Contra Costa County Bar Association, Family Law and Alternative Dispute Resolution Sections, currently serving on the ADR board
- Alameda County Bar Association, Family Law Section
- Collaborative Practice East Bay, Member of Steering Committee
- Collaborative Practice California, Co-Chair of the 2020 CP Cal Celebration (Statewide Conference for collaborative practitioners)
- International Association of Collaborative Practitioners
- State Bar of California, Family Law Section
- American Bar Association, Family Law Section