Move Away Disputes

At the Christy & Keith Family Law Group, we represent parties in California proceedings when one parent petitions to relocate out of state with the children or in cases in which one parent has already relocated out of state without permission from the court. California state law requires the custodial parent to file a “move-away petition” if he or she wishes to move. No matter where the custodial parent plans to relocate, whether to a new city, out of state, or simply across town, a move-away petition is required.

While courts do not have the ability to restrict the right of an individual to move, the court does have the discretion to modify the custody or visitation arrangement if it determines that it is in the child’s best interests to do so. Before granting a custody relocation petition, the court will take into consideration a variety of factors. It is important, in this regard, to be represented by a qualified family law attorney who is familiar with the local courts and factors that will be considered.

At the Christy & Keith Family Law Group, our attorneys have years of significant combined family law experience. We recognize the sensitive and personal nature of every family law case, and we handle all issues with the highest degree of understanding, compassion, and professionalism.